FUNDING OPPORTUNITY: Join the YES! Youth Network
The YES! Youth Network and its partners had tremendous success in our efforts to increase access to healthy and affordable food during the past year by fostering commitments from more than 13 corner store owners to stock and sell nutritious and local foods, impacting 47,167 residents across North Carolina. Extensive advocacy in partnership with the NC Alliance for Health resulted in a $250,000 allocation by the NC General Assembly in the state budget to support the NC Healthy Corner Store Initiative. We are celebrating our success, but know that there is more work to be done! To address this need, we are expanding The YES! Youth Network!
North Carolina based organizations can apply for a $1,500 grant to support your youth and adult team in local and statewide advocacy focused on Healthy Corner Stores or Physical Education/Activity in schools. YES! will be funding 8 teams, please see the requirements below to determine your eligibility and start your application today!
- North Carolina based organization/group with an existing youth group OR be willing to recruit, retain, and sustain a small group of high school-aged youth (at least 3-4) within your organization, in time to attend a training in early 2017
- Available to participate from November 1, 2016 – September 30, 2017
- Designate 1 adult leader that will provide support to the youth and communicate with YES!
- Must be able to accept funding, complete a W-9 and sign a Memorandum of Understanding to have shared expectations, such as:
- Attend the YES! Regional Adult Leader Training (November 15, 2016 in Winston-Salem, NC) – this is a required training for 1-3 adults per group
- Attend YES! Regional Youth Leader Training (TBD)
- Create an action plan at the Regional Youth Leader Training that will direct your local work
- Depending on focus area:
- Conduct surveys and a media project; share results within your community or school
- Host a community discussion or coordinate In-District meetings with policy makers
- Allot a portion of the funding to travel to Raleigh for either a state-wide advocacy day or a presentation to state-level decision makers
- Participate in local and statewide media campaigns via social media around the topic areas to support policy change
- Communicate with YES! and the NC Alliance for Health to seek approval for all campaign-related media materials
- Submit monthly reports to YES! during the duration of the funding
To apply, complete the application by no later than Friday, October 21, 2016.