YES!’s Tobacco Use Prevention team is working to engage and empower young people in community change efforts to create spaces with clean smoke-free air, reduce tobacco-related disparities, and create a tobacco-free generation.
What We Do
• Advocate for policy changes to support tobacco-free lifestyles and environments
• Provide training and technical assistance to youth, adults and organizations on how to empower youth in sustainable community change efforts
• Provide capacity building for adults and organizations wanting to engage youth more effectively
• Help groups effectively assess their communities and create action plans driven by youth-adult partnerships
• Collaborate with state and national initiatives to address youth tobacco use and exposure
YES! Youth Advocacy Efforts
• Catalyzing communities to reduce tobacco-related health disparities
– Eliminating predatory marketing of tobacco products to youth
– Banning the sale of menthol and other flavored tobacco products
– Limiting the number of tobacco retail outlets in communities or near schools
YES!’s long history with youth-adult partnerships for community change began with tobacco prevention. In the early days, youth teams focused efforts on direct advocacy in their communities, working on convincing business owners to implement smoke-free restaurants, gaining allies to adopt tobacco-free schools policies, and educating communities about the dangers of tobacco use and secondhand smoke.
This direct advocacy work is a beacon of the strength of youth-adult partnerships to create lasting change. After all, youth in North Carolina can now breathe easy at school, at college, at a restaurant, in a park, or at a concert!
Today, YES! is working across the U.S. by empowering youth to solve similar problems in their own states and communities, so that your community can enjoy these too!