Youth Empowered Solutions is excited to announce partner funding to join the YES! Youth Network. This network is a cohort of youth-adult teams across the country working to empower youth, in partnership with adults to create community change. YES! is committed to creating community change through the lens of social justice by applying an explicit racial equity framework. Therefore, YES! is seeking opportunities with organizations led by people and youth of color. Whether the issue is food justice, tobacco use, or access to oral health, root causes, particularly racism, impact all of these.
At YES! we know that young people under the age of 18 make up more than a quarter of the U.S. population, yet their potential as a generation to contribute to a better society is systematically ignored. Racism operates in a way that maintains the same unjust power structure that suppresses youth voices. For youth of color, this issue is magnified by the fact that the racial composition of government and non-profit leadership too often does not reflect the communities they are elected or appointed to serve. Empowering youth of color and addressing structural racism elevates the voices of marginalized communities and helps us begin to realize a more balanced power structure.
The 2018 round of mini-grant funding will look to fund work that supports youth of color as they lead advocacy efforts around Food Justice, Access to Water, Tobacco/E-cigarette Prevention and Access to Oral Healthcare. YES! is offering two different mini-grants: 1) Local North Carolina YES! Youth Network partners (up to $2,500) and 2) National YES! Youth Network Partners (outside of NC, up to $4,000). The YES! Youth Network operates using a cohort model approach as we phase in new partners and work to build the capacity of adults, youth and organizations. Each new cohort enters the YES! Youth Network at Phase I (see image below) and then moves through the following phases accordingly. The YES! Youth Network is unique because it provides ongoing support for youth and adults and creates an opportunity for members to learn, strategize and partner together to enhance each community’s experience.
YES! YOUTH NETWORK OVERVIEW
BENEFITS OF JOINING THE YES! YOUTH NETWORK
- Access to YES! Youth and Adult Leader Trainings
- Monthly virtual learning modules for Youth and Adults
- Peer-to-peer learning opportunities for Youth and Adults
- Comprehensive tools and resources focused on youth empowerment, racial equity and community change
- Network of youth-adult teams across the country support youth-led movements
- General operating funds to cover travel, youth stipends, resources and more
ELIGIBILITY TO APPLY
- Must be a local government agency or a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
- Organizations led by people of color strongly encouraged to apply
- National YES! Youth Network applicants must be a member of the Oral Health 2020 Network
- Currently engaging youth (ages 14-18) or willing to recruit and sustain 3-4 youth of color as organizational partners
- Willingness to travel to NC for youth and adult leader trainings (funds in mini-grant to support travel)
- Showcase a commitment to racial equity
- Advocacy efforts will focus on: Food Justice, Access to Water, Tobacco/E-Cigarette Prevention or Access to Oral Healthcare
- Ability to accept funding, complete a W-9 and sign a Memorandum of Understanding
- Applications due by May 31, 2018
For questions or more information please contact, Katie Warner: Katie@youthempoweredsolutions.org