Organizational Background and Mission:
Youth Empowered Solutions (YES!) is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization centered on the idea that real community change cannot take place without the contributions of young people. Using the YES! Youth Empowerment Model©, YES! works with youth to develop a deep critical awareness about the root causes of the issues that impact them, then works with them to develop the skills necessary to understand these complex issues, and engage in collaboration in order to effectively identify and advocate for solutions to those issues.
YES! also helps adults and organizations understand the importance of youth empowerment and build their own capacity to work with youth in ways that enhance their ability to fulfill their mission. By engaging youth in our work, organizations and communities become more creative, resourceful, tech savvy, powerful and successful at creating solutions for community challenges that are meaningful and sustainable.
YES! uses an outcomes framework and measures opportunities for youth to develop their interests, hone skills, gain experience in areas like environmental scanning, media advocacy, public speaking and being more aware of their own ability to lead community change. In FY 2016, YES! helped to bring about 25 critical changes across 18 states through 20 partners and projects, impacting 1,256,129 people.
YES! is seeking a full-time Program Coordinator based in McDowell County, NC to be a fearless leader in a complex community. This person will work in partnership with a youth staff team comprised of 4-5 local high school students to cultivate their leadership skills, critical awareness of public health, the social determinants of health and how to create opportunities to work towards health equity.
This position will serve as an integral member of our growing team at YES!. The Program Coordinator will learn new skills and take on a leadership role in developing YES!’s work in McDowell County partnering with new and existing Healthy Places NC coalition members including McDowell County Health Coalition, Corpening YMCA, Grace Community Church, West Marion Forum and other key community leadership.
YES! is excited to grow our reach and impact and hire new dynamic leaders across the state. The Program Coordinator will be responsible building relationships, conducting research, identifying strategic partners, and recruiting and hiring a new cohort of youth advocates. This team will use youth empowerment as a strategy to advance policy, systems and environmental changes that create a culture of health, embrace community input and support youth as contributing members.
EDUCATION, SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, health education, public policy or a related field
- Youth or multi-generational organizing experience preferred. Can include grassroots campaigns and supporting the development of youth leaders
- Experience working with youth, planning and facilitating events, networking, community organizing and advocacy
- Seeking a young adult to fill this specific Program Coordinator Position
- Values youth input and youth/adult partnerships.
- Ability to build effective rapport with high school aged youth.
- A deep commitment to social, economic and racial justice; movement building; and the leadership of young people of color or from a rural community
- Familiarity with environmental justice, school wellness, food justice, health disparities, media, social media and communications
- Embraces collaborative leadership and power sharing with young people
- Reliable and able to work independently and as part of a team
- Self-starter, taking the initiative to move the work forward
- Strong communication skills (in writing and with staff in person)
- Computer/internet experience and willingness to utilize technology to enhance effectiveness of virtual offices
- Proven ability and willingness to network – building new and maintaining networks/relationships locally, regionally and nationally
- Successful past public speaking experience, event planning and facilitation
- Must be a McDowell County Resident for at least 4 years (does not have to be consecutive).
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION:
- Salary range $32,000 – 36,000
- Fully paid Medical/Dental benefits
- Flexible schedule with generous paid time off and Holiday schedule
Please send resume and cover letter to: Jobs@youthempoweredsolutions.org
Close date: July 14, 2017