Substance Abuse Prevention
YES!’s substance abuse prevention program, the Answer, cultivates successful adult-youth partnerships that can effectively advocate for community changes that prevent underage drinking. The Answer provides training and resources for the state-wide, youth-led movement to prevent underage drinking, Take It Back North Carolina. For all the advocacy initiatives that The Answer is currently working on, visit our Projects and Initiatives page.
The Answer team has traveled across North Carolina from the Hayesville mountains to the Pine Knoll Shores, training hundreds of youth and adults. They have advocated successfully to ensure the City of Raleigh did not make an exception to the ABC Commission policy that doesn’t allow public buildings to be named after alcohol products and keeping ABC stores controlled by the state. Most recently, the team was recognized by the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention for local efforts of youth to prevent underage drinking.
What We Do:
- Provide training to adults on youth empowerment, strategic action plans with youth, and other topics that assist in meeting their goals to prevent underage drinking
- Advocate for local, state and national policies that prevent underage drinking
- Create resources that preventing underage drinking groups can use in their efforts with youth
- Raise the profile of the Youth Empowerment Model and its role in the movement to prevent underage drinking
- Provide training to youth who are involved with local groups and support their skill development, critical awareness and access to opportunities to be effective advocates.
For more information, contact Aidil Ortiz Hill at (919) 229-8019 or email@example.com.